The 2014 Staalwater Mountain Bike Challenge
Cycle and run in the picturesque Overberg area with views of the Klein Swartberg mountains, conveniently located only an hour’s drive from Cape Town. The event, now in its fifth consecutive year, takes place on Saturday the 6th and Sunday 7 September 2014 at The Caledon Casino, Hotel, Spa and Entertainment.
Both mountain bike and trail running events offer routes for amateurs to advance mountain bikers/trail runners so bring the whole family for a fun filled weekend! The Overberg region, with its great scenery, diverse landscape and quiet dirt roads is fast-becoming a favourite destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
For those looking for a getaway spend the weekend at the Caledon Casino, Hotel & Spa with an array of activities from great dining to gaming and after a day of running or cycling enjoy the restorative powers of the hot springs at the hotel spa.
07 Sep 2014
The Caledon Casino, Hotel, Spa and Entertainment. Caledon, Overberg
Online Start Date:
12 Aug 2014
Online End Date:
02 Sep 2014
Dirtopia Trail Centre
021 884 4752 / email@example.com
Distance & Entry Fee
Pre entries (closing 02nd September)
Amarider members & Tag holders entry fee:
15km – R78.40
35km – R106.40
60km – R134.40
Other Pre-entry fee (Temporary Amarider Trail Tag included):
15km – R89.60,
35km – R117.60
60km – R156.80
Late entries (taken on event day):
15km – R100
35km – R140
60km – R170
Friday, 05th September
08H00 – 14H00 Registration @Dirtopia Trail Centre, Delvera farm
18H30 – 20H30 Registration @Caledon Hotel – conference room
Saturday, 06th September
15h00 - 18h00 MTB Registration @conference room
Sunday, 07th September
From 07h00 @Caledon Hotel – conference room
Provisional Start Time
60km - 09h00, 35km - 09h15 & 15km - 09h30
The Caledon Casino, Hotel, Spa and Entertainment. Caledon, Overberg
Distances & Route Descriptions
The shorter routes are designed to encourage newcomers to the sport. the event will feature two trail run distances of 7km for the kids, family and friends whereas 15km for those wanting more of a challenge - both routes take participants on a scenic tour of the countryside with some great singletrack sections. The trail run takes place on the Saturday, and the mountain bike challenge is on the Sunday. The Mountain Bike Challenge, which starts and ends at The Caledon Hotel entrance, takes racers on an adventurous journey through a mix of private farms and district dirt roads. There are three routes of varying distances and level of difficulty to choose from; 60km, 35km and a 15km fun ride for beginners and children. Well worth the drive to this beautiful area.
Meurant Botha from Dirtopia, which organizes the Staalwater Mountain Bike Challenge says: “The Staalwater Challenge, while giving professional riders a challenging race, is also a fun-filled opportunity for those who simply want to enjoy a refreshing ride in beautiful surroundings with their friends and families. You don’t have to be super fit or fast to be part of it. We have different routes to suit different fitness levels.
“So, bring your family and friends and participate in this great outdoor adventure experience.”
Pre-entries are close on the 2nd of September. Pre-entries receive discount and something extra at registration. There will be refreshment station on the routes and all finishers will receive a medal. Make sure you stay for prizegiving and the luckydraw!
Lots of entertainment at the Casino with surprise draws, kiddies play area & jumping castles, bar, meal stalls and more.
Food And Beverage Specials Available
Coffee / tea stand
da Vinci’s restaurant is open 24/7
Kid's entertainment near Casino
Dirtopia & Amarider merchandise
* Please Note: No refunds. No substitutions. An admin fee for route change at registration
* You'll use the Trail Tag at most Dirtopia events and many trails in the future
* Closing Date: 2nd September 2014
* Please note: Payments must be received by Thuesday 2nd September 2014 (when pre-entries close), otherwise your entry will be subsequently cancelled
* Remember if you submit your entry form after the closing date of pre-entries you will be required to pay the outstanding fee as it will be regarded as a late entry
021 884 4752
Indemnity And Disclaimer
All riders agree to and hereby bind themselves to the following indemnity:
1. The rider undertakes and agrees to ride the trails and use the area entirely at his or her own risk.
2.The rider hereby waives and shall have no claim whatsoever against Dirtopia CC, Amarider, Caledon Casino, Hotel, Spa and Entertainment, or any other land owners, any individual organiser or contractor, official, assistant, helper, representative or agent, the sponsors, any local authority or their employees, hereinafter referred to as the parties, in respect of any injury, loss or damage that the entrant may suffer arising from any injury to the person or property of the entrant, caused directly or indirectly by the negligence, albeit gross, of one or more of the afore-mentioned parties.
3. The riders undertakes not to hold any of the parties liable if he or she or any dependent or his or her estate suffers loss or damage which was caused directly or indirectly from participation on the properties, including, but without limiting the generality of the afore-going, any loss or damage due to physical injury or death or the physical injury or death of another person, or due to patrimonial loss or damage, and in which ever manner the damage or loss was caused, including the negligence of the parties.
4. The rider indemnifies the parties against all liability for above mentioned losses or damages and confirms that this acceptance of risk, undertaking and indemnity is also binding on his or her estate.
5. The entrant confirms that this indemnity extends to the participation of any event, including his or her arrival at the property and departure there from and attendance at any ceremony or function therof.
6. The rider accepts that, without limiting the generality of the afore-going, the parties and the owners or managers of the venue shall accept no responsibility or liability for any injury, howsoever caused, to any person while on the premises or while utilizing the facilities theron, as well as in respect of any patrimonial loss or damage, howsoever caused, suffered by any person while on the premises or while utililizing the facilities theron.
7. Should the rider be a minor, the parent, guardian or adult supervisor of the minor confirms that the minor is riding the trails on the farms at his or her own risk and indemnifies the parties against claims by such minor.
8. The rider or, in the case of a minor, the parent or guardian, confirms that her or she has read and understands the effect of this indemnity.
9. All or any of the parties may accept the benefits which accrue to them in terms of this indemnity at any time after it has been signed by the participant.
10. I agree to abide by the rules as stipulated by the landowners and the organisers, including the waiver. The wearing of helmets is compulsory