|[ 5150 Triathlon Bela Bela ]
5150 Triathlon Bela Bela South Africa
Largest Global Standard Distance Triathlon Series:
- The 5150 Triathlon is Standard Distance race that was introduced
globally by the World Triathlon Corporation last year. It is currently
the largest global standard distance triathlon series with the biggest prize
purse worldwide. Africa’s first 5150 event was hosted in Bela Bela in
August last year with just under 500 athletes participating.
- The 5150 Triathlon Bela Bela is the first qualifier for the 2013
Hy-Vee 5150 US Champs in Des Moines, Iowa where the prize purse is a whopping
$1.5 million for professional athletes.
- The 2012 race will take place in Bela Bela,
Limpopo Province on Saturday 25 August 2012.
- The event is positioned as a novice-friendly race as the distances
are a 1.5km swim, 40km bike and 10km run all within the Forever Resorts
Warmbaths premises, with only the bike leg taking athletes beyond the
- The biggest concern for would-be triathletes and first-timers is
the swim, but here the swim takes place in a ski dam on the resort with water
shallow enough for a male to stand in at its deepest point.
Long enough to be competitive:
- The 2011 5150 Triathlon Bela Bela was won by South African athlete
Travis Johnston in a time of 01:57:55, followed by Michael Davidson and Erhard
Wolfaard, while Ironman PRO athlete Lucie Zelenkova Reed took the ladies race
in 02:13:02, closely followed by Lauren Dance and Tayla Glover. Points
accumulated during 5150 events count towards the global points ranking for PRO
Using IRONMAN infrastructure:
- 5150 Triathlon Bela Bela is brought to you by the organisers of
the Spec-Savers IRONMAN South Africa and Spec-Savers IRONMAN 70.3 South Africa
so you can be sure that you’re in for a top quality event, with similar
finishline infrastructure and race village, including top quality announcing by
the voice of IRONMAN Triathlon in South Africa and Europe, Paul Kaye.
- Every entrant receives a 5150 t-shirt and every finisher will
receive a unique 5150 finisher medal and certificate.
Family-friendly weekend get-away:
- The 5150 Triathlon in Bela Bela is at its core a family-friendly
event where athletes can bring their families and spend the weekend at the
resort, relax, take part in the race or watch the action from within the
resort. Being a shorter distance event, the entry fees are also
significantly lower than a race such as the full Ironman South Africa.
The entry fee is R800 for individuals and R1000 for teams of two or three
Want to know more or enter?
- More information about the event is available on the website www.5150.co.za. All entries are done
online from the event website (www.5150.co.za).
Last update on this event: 02/07/2012
Event Added: 24/05/2012
| [ General Event Details ]
||Saturday, 25 August 2012 - Saturday, 25 August 2012
Limpopo Province, Bela Bela
World Endurance South Africa
^ back to top